Monday 18 April 2011

Istravino Teran 2004 - Croatian Wine

My wife and I were given a bottle of 2004 Istravino Teran. This is superb red wine. I have always liked the wines from this region whether they are Slovenian, Italian (from the Trieste region) or Croatian. As they are such good wines I can forgive them for varietal labelling - the Grape variety indicates the style of wine. To me Teran is good strong sturdy red wine which almost feels like good medicine when it goes down with good food. I urge everyone to try wines from this region if they can find them. Better still pay a visit to Istria for fine wine made to go with fine food. We drank this bottle with pasta combined with a strong tasting bolognaise source to which my wife had added black olives and truffles. The food did not overwhelm the wine.

Wine:Istravino Teran 2004

Date Tasted: 16 April 2011

Appearance:Clear and Bright,Red turning a Garnet colour

Nose: Clean. Pronounced smell of red fruits spice and vanilla.Starting to mature

Palate: High tannins which are now starting to soften. Medium alcohol. Full body. Medium+ acidity. Concentrated red fruits, Plums, Spice, Slightly empyreumatic. Medium+ length.

Other observations:

Good quality I guess it is reasonably priced. Compares favourably with Slovenian and Italian “Terans”.

No comments:

Post a Comment