Monday 6 February 2012

Louis Felipe Edwards Merlot 2011 Lot11 vintage 2011

My wife was given this wine "Louis Felipe Edwards Merlot 2011 Lot18 Vintage 2011" as a complimentary bottle in a Hotel. It is Chilean red from the Rapel valley. On the web you can buy this for about 12 pounds. We got a half bottle for nothing. I was extremely disappointed by this wine as I felt that the malo-lactic conversion was over done. Winemakers deliberately introduce bacteria into the wine to convert harsh tasting malic acid to softer tasting lactic acid. Malic acid gives apples their tart taste. Lactic acid is present in milk and is a much softer tasting acid.

In this wine I could taste too much lactic acid and I found the wine un-drinkable. My wife did not have the same opinion but did agree that there was something not quite right with it. It was a good job it was free. Perhaps, given time and a couple of years in the bottle it might improve. Screw cap "corks" do not appeal to me for wine that needs keeping - for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment