Thursday 14 February 2013

Taberna Etrusca and Sicilian red: Nerello Cappuccio, Frappato 2011

Last week I went  to lunch with a colleague to the Taberna Etrusca in Bow Churchyard for a superb meal. Even though I have worked in the City of London off and on since the 1970's I  have never been here before. How times of changed. I was dressed casually but there is no way I would have gone to this restaurant in 1977 without a suit and tie.

Most clients would have happily downed a bottle of wine each with their meal in those days but  today lunch time dining is a much more sober affair. Even so we managed a bottle of Sicilian red. I am my own boss and  I am semi-retired now but,even so, I rarely drink at lunch time.

We dined on the set menu and both of us chose Mushroom soup and Taglietelle Bolognese. The Soup was well seasoned with truffles which I could still taste on the palate after the main course.

We drank a bottle of  a bottle of Sicilian red: Nerello Cappuccio, Frappato 2011 from Caruso & Menini. This full bodied wine had concentrated red fruit flavours with a solid structure of acidity and well balanced tannin. It was just right for  a tomato based meat dish. It was excellent wine at a reasonable price.

The young staff  here were everything that could be asked for at a good restaurant. They were polite and helpful and were not intrusive. They showed an obvious enthusiasm for their trade and the word "guys" did not pass their lips. Well done Taberna Etrusca. I cannot understand how it took me more than thirty years to find you. Now that I have, I shall be going back.


No comments:

Post a Comment