Monday 28 December 2020

Château Tour Chapoux Bordeaux Supérieur red 2019

I promised that I would write about a 2019 Bordeaux and I finally got round to buying one and drinking it with my wife. I was pleasantly surprised about this wine. I was a bit fearful that it would be too early to drink. In a previous blog I suggested that it would be best to keep the 2019 vintage for a couple of years before drinking it. Much as I hate to say it, I was wrong; you can drink this wine as the tannin is very soft. The wine has much of the character of the region and it is of quite high quality. At less than £10 a bottle in a British supermarket it represents good value for money and I recommend it. You can find it at a discounted price; supermarkets are lowering the cost of some wines to attract customers. You can find some bargains but it would be better if the pound had a higher value against the Euro and the Greenback; however I can't see much prospect of this in the near future.

This website gives a good description of the 2019 vintage in Bordeaux.

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/opinion/news-blogs-anson/bordeaux-2019-vintage-what-to-expect-436453/

Château Tour Chapoux Bordeaux Supérieur 2019 is mainly Merlot based wine so it is made for easy drinking. However, this wine will keep and improve in the bottle for a few more years. This wine went down well with steak and chips and we were able to savour it over two evenings.  It is light enough to drink on its own if you feel that way inclined, but I wouldn't do that as it deserves to be matched with food.

2019 was a good year for Bordeaux so it is worth buying a few bottles to lay down if you can afford it.

This wine was rated 3.5 out 5 on this website, below. I am not a lover of ratings but if I had to I would have given it 4 out 5 on the basis of value for money.

https://www.vivino.com/GB/en/tour-chapoux-bordeaux-superieur/w/2150579?year=2019

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/chateau-tour-chapoux

No comments:

Post a Comment