Wednesday 24 July 2024

Sense of taste coming back but slowly

 My sense of taste is coming back after I stopped taking Antibiotics for my chest complaint. I can just about perceive red wine as being pleasant. The other day, in a café, I drank a glass of Italian Sangiovese, but I could not appreciate the full taste of the wine. I could not identify where the wine came from. I could smell the wine as being pleasant but my taste buds made the wine taste a little bit bitter. White wine tastes foul for me now including my favorite tipple: Champagne. 

The other day some friends came around for lunch; my friend, Rob, likes a glass of whisky; so I poured him a shot of the Bowmore. I joined him  by filling my glass with one millilitre of this golden treasure. I could taste the whisky properly even though it was diluted with water; so I thought there were some hopes. Later we opened a bottle of Pouilly-Fumé: it taste so foul that I could not bear to drink it ,even a small glass.

I have been assured by others , who have been in the same position, that my sense of taste will eventually return. I am now a type 2 diabetic, but I can still drink red and white wines as they have little or no carbohydrate content.  I have to be careful, however, not to consume too much alcohol, but this does not bother me, and it never did even though I over-indulged occasionally. I can no longer over-indulge, but I have the will power to control myself. I wouldn't care at all if I never drank sprits again. I would not be too disappointed if I could not drink beer ever again, although I would miss a pint of the best draught ale. I would ,however, be bitterly disappointed if my sense of taste never came back sufficiently, so that I can enjoy a glass of good wine and identify, some of the time, where it comes from, either France, Spain or elsewhere. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an eventual recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment