Wednesday 19 May 2010

Plantaže 2008 Merlot Lake Skadar Valley Podgorica Montenegro

Although I have spent plenty of time in the Balkans, I have never visited Montenegro and the only montenegrine wine I have even drunk is Vranac.
I first tasted Vranac in Serbia and my Serbian friend, who lives in London, regularly gives me a bottle after trips back home. Vranac, is a heavy full bodied red wine just made to go with Balkan cuisine such as Pljeskavica which is like a hamburger made of beef or lamb and flavoured with onions and spices. It is delicious and fully recommended on a trip to the region.

When I saw a bottle of Plantaže 2008 Merlot on promotion in the local supermarket I had to try it. This dry red wine is nowhere near as full bodied as the Vranac and does not have the exceptionally full flavour, and I doubt if it will keep anywhere near as long. But the wine is well integrated and is made in a more fresh and modern style and of course they have branded the wine “Merlot”. The wine is estate bottled, and you can tell it, and it has no hints of bulk wine production. It went well with steak but I doubt if it would handle the more heavily flavoured food from the region. The wine brought back many memories of much time spent wining and dining in Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia.

This wine is good value for money at around £5 to £6 but I would not pay anymore.
Hopefully, we shall see some more Balkan wines making an appearance on our supermarket shelves.


Wine: Plantaže 2008 Merlot Lake Skadar Valley Podgorica Montenegro Estate Bottled

Date:02May2010

Apearance: Bright and Clear. Deep Purple. Lighter meniscus. Produced legsNose
Clean. Developing. Pronounced red fruits.

Palate:Dry with a medium +body. Medium + ripening tannins. Medium Acidity and Alcohol. Pronounced flavour of red fruits, stewed fruits and stone fruits some spices and a savoury taste. Quite complex. Medium +length.

Other observations:Fresh well integrated taste, more elegant than a Vranac. Good wine and good value for money .European and Mediterranean Style. Drink now but will keep a couple of years

Price:£ 5.50

No comments:

Post a Comment