Saturday 20 April 2013

Domaine Alain Mathias Burgundy Côte de Griseys 2011

I finally got round to tasting a bottle of the Epineuil Rouge Côte de Griseys 2011 a case of which we brought back from a trip to Tonnerre. We were in a hurry with no time to taste but I bought  a case because I knew it would be good. The wine was excellent, so no wonder that the 2010 won prizes.

For some reason my wife decided not to drink when I opened the bottle to consume it with some free range roast chicken. She missed out; the wine is ready to drink now and it had the cherry and red fruit flavours typical of Epineuil rouge with the mineral overtones derived from the Kimmeridgian based limestone soil. The wine is concentrated and complex and has a long length. It is superb.

This wine has a goût de terroir worthy of any top wine from Burgundy but at a reasonable price.
 I am keeping some bottles of this wine for several years as it improves with age. I do not have a commercial interest in any wine company and form my own independent view. I recommend that you buy this wine. But you are best advised to go to France and the Tonnerre area to find a supplier or to visit the domaine itself. The trip is worth it.

If you live in France he will send you a case at a small cost but the wine would still be very good value for money.

http://www.domainealainmathias.com/commande.htm


He also makes great Chablis.

No comments:

Post a Comment